Monday, March 30, 2009

Section Five: Night Reader Response

The weather, in section five of Night, produces an effect on the story. Eliezer describes the weather as cold and bitter. The story that Elie remembers during this time was also, cold and bitter. Eliezer and his father along with all the Jews at the concentration camp were being evacuated. Russian lines were closing in on their camp, and they are instructed to march all the way to their planned destination, deeper into Germany. Despite Eliezer's swollen and infected foot he decides to join his father and the others being evacuated. This shows how much Elie cares for his father, he does not want to leave him alone. The weather does not help these fellow men reach their destination. Many men cannot keep up with the running pace, these men fall behind and die.

Section five demonstrates Eliezer's perseverance. As I was reading the story of their march, I felt like I wanted to stop reading. I can only imagine how the "death march" would have felt. When they reach their final destination at the new camp they are forced to stay in this barn. Eliezar watches over his father while his father gets rest at night. His father does the same. Despite the bitter treatment and conditions, I feel happy that no matter what has happened, Elie and his father still care for each other. Their bond has not been broken like others. They will always love one another.

3 comments:

  1. Poor Eliezer. His surgery on his foot. Then having to walk on it in freezing snow. The numbness might help but I feel sorry for him. It's sad that they have to run and the fallen just die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really sad, the stuggles all those innocent Jews had to go through. It's even worse to try to imagine how they felt

    ReplyDelete
  3. It Seemed so pitiful. They went through so much, even though Elizer foot was swollen and infected he went on the journey anyway so that he could be with his father. I thought that was very thoughtful of him.

    ReplyDelete