After reading Elie Wiesel's Night, I remembered one particular quote. Eliezer remembers, "When they came back, they told us that they had learned, in exchange for a gold watch, that this was the final destination. We were to leave the train here. There was a labor camp on the site. The conditions were good. Families would not be separated. Only the young would work in the factories. The old and the sick would find work in the fields. Confidence soared. Suddenly we felt free of the previous nights' terror. We gave thanks to God." (page 27) Little did they know that they were lied to. Conditions were not good. Families were separated. The young were killed off immediately. The old and sick were also killed. The freedom that they felt was for nothing. The hope that suddenly burned inside of them was yet to be shattered. This passage also shows how grateful the Jews were. If this ever happened to my family, I think we would just give up at the ghettos.
Section two made me feel sad and almost guilty. The events that Elie and many others went through should have never happened to any human being. It's sickening that such things were happening in such a civilized time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I wish I could write like that :(
ReplyDeleteAw thanks! You're such a nice person. :)
ReplyDeleteI agree, this might not have been in our time but it was still something that is beyond our understanding of how such events could have taken place!! I can only somewhat relate to their family being seperated...now that I have moved to Canada, I never see my family, but I still have my mom, dad, and siblings. I don't know what I would do if I were taken from them and know that I would never see them again! Very upsetting to even think about. Also I agree with how you mentioned that if that was your family you guys would have given up. I know I would have too.
ReplyDeleteWho is Daniel? He's not in our class right? ...
ReplyDeleteWe read in the book that he traded the watch to find out that it was the last destination. And now watching the biography in class we learned that we gained the watch from his Bar Mitzvah from his father, that really upsets me. It must have been such a valuable gift to him, I wonder how hard it was to give that away.
No, I was telling him about the assignment and he wanted to read it. I told him not to comment...
ReplyDeleteYes, I know. And remember in the book, his father said something about burying the silver and gold beneath their house. I wonder if he ever found that.
Yea. I didn't like that they were seperated. It isn't fair, but they didn't care. They were heartless. It's like they weren't even human.
ReplyDeleteThat's true! They weren't even treated as human beings. They were treated as if they were something from out of this universe
ReplyDeleteThey were treated like animals. But barely. It's so heartbreaking.
ReplyDelete