After reading Night by Elie Wiesel section one, I felt a curiosity growing as the section came to an end. For me, the story keeps me on the edge of my seat. I want to read more, I want to know what happens next. Since I have not experienced conditions of a war or have lived through a war, I find myself wanting to know more about it. I find it hard to understand the events and trials that the Jews endured. I can only imagine the conditions. It's heartbreaking that Jews and other persecuted minorities had to travel from place to place. They never got to settle anywhere permanently. Jewish families such as the Wiesel family were taken from their homes and put in ghettos fearing what the future held. As the novel progresses, the Jews are forced to wear a yellow star (the star of David) on their clothing. Elie Wiesel's father says: "'The yellow star? So what? It's not lethal...' (Poor Father! Of what then did you die?)" (page 11). In brackets Elie Wiesel comments on what his father says while writing this story. I like this style of writing because it shows what the author thinks of the situation and in this case it foreshadows an important fact about his father. I haven't read any books as informative and realistic as this but I have read Anne Frank's diary. Anne Frank was a Jew in hiding. Anne Frank's diary has a different view on being a Jew because her story was about hiding from the German Police and not getting captured. While Elie Wiesel and his family witness and experience what was really happening. Elie Wiesel is a very mature person for his age. Through the first section he does not pretend to be brave, he's terrified for what is to come. To me, moving to ghettos, being controlled by police and getting moved from place to place is an act of bravery. The German/Hungarian police are known as the "bad guys" in this book because of their plan to kill all those who did not fall under Adolf Hitler's physical description of the Aryan Race. I think the plan to kill masses of people based merely on a physical description is terrible. These people were killing fellow men, women and children just because of religious or ethnic differences. It's shocking and terrible that so many people were subjected to such horrid events.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Section One: Night Reader Response
After reading Night by Elie Wiesel section one, I felt a curiosity growing as the section came to an end. For me, the story keeps me on the edge of my seat. I want to read more, I want to know what happens next. Since I have not experienced conditions of a war or have lived through a war, I find myself wanting to know more about it. I find it hard to understand the events and trials that the Jews endured. I can only imagine the conditions. It's heartbreaking that Jews and other persecuted minorities had to travel from place to place. They never got to settle anywhere permanently. Jewish families such as the Wiesel family were taken from their homes and put in ghettos fearing what the future held. As the novel progresses, the Jews are forced to wear a yellow star (the star of David) on their clothing. Elie Wiesel's father says: "'The yellow star? So what? It's not lethal...' (Poor Father! Of what then did you die?)" (page 11). In brackets Elie Wiesel comments on what his father says while writing this story. I like this style of writing because it shows what the author thinks of the situation and in this case it foreshadows an important fact about his father. I haven't read any books as informative and realistic as this but I have read Anne Frank's diary. Anne Frank was a Jew in hiding. Anne Frank's diary has a different view on being a Jew because her story was about hiding from the German Police and not getting captured. While Elie Wiesel and his family witness and experience what was really happening. Elie Wiesel is a very mature person for his age. Through the first section he does not pretend to be brave, he's terrified for what is to come. To me, moving to ghettos, being controlled by police and getting moved from place to place is an act of bravery. The German/Hungarian police are known as the "bad guys" in this book because of their plan to kill all those who did not fall under Adolf Hitler's physical description of the Aryan Race. I think the plan to kill masses of people based merely on a physical description is terrible. These people were killing fellow men, women and children just because of religious or ethnic differences. It's shocking and terrible that so many people were subjected to such horrid events.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Moving around the way they had to would be so hard for me as well. Also it's soo upsetting how they actually liked the fact that they were being put in the ghettos, and only because of how they were treated out in the community! And seriously, the conditions within the concentration camps! Unbelievable!
ReplyDeleteI know!!! Plus, the fact that they thought it was nice in the ghetto... But I guess I can kind of see their point, because not a lot of people like them. It's heartbreaking when I read the part about the babies being used as targets for machine guns. It's soooo sad! :(
ReplyDeleteI also find this book wanting me to read more to find out what happens nexts. It's very upsetting and hurtful that this can of thing happened in the past.
ReplyDeletePlus the fact that countries didn't really do anything about it until later on... Yes, I know! I was so curious to find out what happened so I read the whole book!
ReplyDeleteYea. I didn't like the part about the babies being used for machine gun practise either. It was so unexpected. I didn't know the Germans were that cruel. I mean I did know they were cruel, just not that they would use innocent babies for practise. This book is interesting though.
ReplyDelete