
Section three of Night is a very detailed part of the novel. I find the text very narrow. Eliezer seems to remember everything about his past and the Holocaust. One part that he remembers, a tragic part, seems to almost haunt me every time: "The SS seemed more preoccupied, more worried, than usual. To hang a child in front of thousands of onlookers was not a small matter. The head of the camp read the verdict. All eyes were on the child. He was pale, almost calm, but he was biting his lips as he stood in the shadow of the gallows... Then came the march past the victims. The two men were no longer alive. Their tongues were hanging out, swollen and bluish. But the third rope was still moving, the child, too light, was still breathing... So he remained for more than half an hour, lingering between life an death, writhing before our eyes. And we were forced to look at him at close range. He was still alive when I passed him. his tongue was still red, his eyes not yet extinguished." This is one example of a detailed passage. Eliezer wrote this novel in his senior ages and to remember that much detail from one event through the many years is quite outstanding.
As Eliezer marches pass the child hanging from the gallows a man behind him asks "'For God's sake, where is God?' And from within me [Eliezer], I heard a voice answer: 'Where He is? This is where--hanging here from this gallows...' That night, the soup tasted of corpses." I find this quote hard to understand. To me, it doesn't make sense, because of the wording most likely. Despite the lack interpertation, I feel that this quote has a deeper meaning.
Ya, I was also thinking about that quote of when he says, "That night, the soup trasted of corpses". I sorta have an idea on what he might be trying to say.
ReplyDeleteGood job =]
Thanks Mandy :)!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I'm kind of stumped with that quote! The wording doesn't make sense to me, hopefully someone knows.
About what you started with, how he still remembers everything so detailed. It just shows how out of the ordinary and terrible these events were!
ReplyDeleteThe quote you wrote in there gives me shivers when I read it! I couldn't imagine walking past a small boy who is waiting for death, that alone would make me burst out in tears. Also, as I mentioned in my blog, as I read this novel,I found myself hating Hitler and his followers exceedingly more and more. Good job though, I enjoyed reading it.
ReplyDeleteYea. That quote is weird. I agree Jasmine. This part of the text is pretty detailed.
ReplyDeleteThis quote made me relize how bad these camps were. It must be hard to stand there and watch someone so young and know you cant do anything to stop what's happening to him.
ReplyDelete